Sunday 13 November 2011

Exciting times ahead

OK, so this is my first ever blog and, to be honest, I'm really not sure how this whole thing works! Hadn't even thought about setting one up until, last week, a friend suggested I should (sure she's just sick of me wittering on about my allotment and whatever home brew I'm doing at the moment, so thought it would be a way to vent my thoughts and pictures somewhere else :0)

So here it is… a bit of background first

I took over my allotment on 3rd August this year.  It’s rather run down after being almost left to fend for itself for the best part of 4 years and it’s going to take some serious work to get it back in shape.  I really want a way to be able to remind myself of the progress so, on those days where I feel like nothing is getting done, I can look back at the improvements we’ve made to the plot. 

This picture was taken on that first day.  I can remember being so happy that, after almost 4 years of being on the waiting list, I’d received the call saying I was top of the list and one was available. 
I met the allotment secretary at the entrance to the site and we walked around to have a look… 



As you can see, there are plenty of weeds, a fruit cage in full on battle with the bindweed and a greenhouse/shed in need of desperate repair.  But, there is also a shed load of fruit bushes (currants, blackberries and raspberries), a mound of rhubarb and LOTS a space – the one thing I don’t have living in a terrace house with a tiny back yard :0)

There’s only one answer to the question “Would I like to take it on?”… Erm, let me think about that for a nanosecond - YES PLEASE!!

And so my adventure began, I have a spade, enthusiasm and a huge grin on my face, what more is there to life (except my very own home grown veg)? 
Happy Days…

No comments:

Post a Comment